family history and family trees, places and faces, the bonds that unite us

Weddings of 4 Sisters

My mother was the eldest of 4 sisters. The sisters are named after flowers, season or month - Tulip, Esther, June and Daisy. That's how Dato Mahathir Lokman remembers them - with "flower names". They all married and have families, kids and grandchildren. 

My parents are Tulip and Abdul Rashid.

I have met Aunty Esther but not her husband Aelian Schokman. I have met both her son Jeffrey and daughter Veronica. I have met Jeffrey's wife Siti Azar and their children.

I have not met both Aunty June and her husband Nathaniel Kingsley. I have not met any of their children (my cousins).

I have met both Aunty Daisy Yvette and her husband Robert Jansz at their home in Western Australia, before Uncle Robert died in 1998 (a month before Christmas). I also met all her children (except Frances) when I visited Aunty Daisy after Uncle Robert died. I met Frances for the first time when I visited her family home at her farm in Sepertine Way, Stake Hill on 10 February 2013. Aunty Daisy took me, my daughter Yus, and Affandi there.

Tulip and Abdul Rashid 24 December 1955, bersanding at 262-T Banda Hilir, Malacca
Akad nikah was done earlier, in November 1955.
Esther and Aelian Cantlay Schokman married on 5 September 1959
From Facebook: "Thanksgiving and 50th Wedding Anniversary of Aelian & Esther Schokman, 5 September 2009"

June and Lieut. Devdass Kingsley Nathaniel 8 February 1958

Sunday Standard
, 16 February 1958 [Article + Illustration]
MALAYAN BRIDES (LEFT) LIEUT. D. K. NATHANIEL of the Federation Armoured Car Regiment and his bride, the former Miss June Che Lah, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Che Lah of Kuala Lumpur who were married at St. Mary's Church, Kuala Lumpur, last week. Photo shows the couple leaving the Church. - page 11 (Aunty June married on 8 or 11 Feb 1958?)

------

According to my cousin Jeffrey and his mum, my Aunt Esther, Aunty Daisy got married first.

In a 1953 wedding photo of Catherine's youngest daughter, Daisy Yvette, we can see many of the family members gathered on the steps of the church. Daisy informed me that she married not at St Mary's Church in Kuala Lumpur (level with the Merdeka Padang), but at a church up on a hill. This church would be St John's Church (now cathedral), Bukit Nanas, Kuala Lumpur.


Daisy Yvette's wedding in 1953 at St John's Church, Bukit Nanas, KL.
Front row from left: Bridesmaid is Esther, standing next to Robert Jansz (groom). Daisy Yvette (bride), and bridesmaid at right is groom's sister, Aunt Hazel.
Back row from left: Humphrey Edward Bulner, Daisy Catherine de Coursey Bulner (lady with white hat), groom's father, Mr Jansz, Uncle Reg standing behind groom and bride, and Victoria, groom's mother (lady with black hat)

Daisy Yvette and Robert Jansz,
St John's Church (now cathedral),
Bukit Nanas, Kuala Lumpur

I'm uncertain of the wedding date but I will need to check with Aunty Daisy (she lives in Western Australia) and some other documents. Aunty Daisy is not on the Internet, so I need to ask her children, and they have to visit her place.

When I visited Aunty Daisy in Mandurah in mid February 2013, she helped to identify the people in her wedding photo above. I need to find where I placed the information.

Will update when I find it.

My cousin Veronica helped to identify Uncle Reg and Aunt Hazel.

External links:
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~lkawgw/gen1235.html
https://youtu.be/KqYw_ICMUjQ

Share:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Slide 1

Slide 1
355-A Glugor house

Slide 5

Slide 5
The author's den

Slide 4

Slide 4
Tulip leaving for England 1952

Slide 3

Slide 3
Dr Che Lah bin Md Joonos

Slide 2

Slide 2
Bird's eyeview of Tanjung Penaga

Slide 6

Slide 6
British officers in Penang

Quotes

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews

Search This Blog

INDEX

Roller Index

Author

My Photo
Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
I am surviving

Labels

Recent Posts

Pages (Slides)